24 March 2010

Commandeered Dear Abby: FRIENDS THINK CLUMSY WOMAN'S BRUISES ARE EVIDENCE OF ABUSE

DEAR SURLY, I'm a 27-year-old woman who is a 'klutz,' which explains why I often have bruises on my legs and elbows. The other day, while lunching with friends I hadn't seen in a while, one of them brought up the subject of my bruises. (I had rolled up the sleeves of my blouse and was wearing a skirt.)

I laughed and explained how I got them -- running off an elevator before the door had opened all the way, tripping while climbing some stairs, and crashing into the coffee table and nearly breaking my leg. My friends exchanged knowing looks and told me if I ever needed anything -- ANYthing at all -- they were there for me and offered protection!

It became obvious that they think my fiance caused the bruises. I explained that I am often in a hurry and accident-prone. They didn't believe me. They just nodded and said, "Uh-huh ..."

I feel so humiliated. My fiance has never laid a finger on me. I have never had a healthier, more loving relationship, and it hurt that my friends think I'm a victim of domestic abuse.

A birthday get-together is coming soon and I don't feel comfortable going now. I'm worried they may tell others what they "think" may be going on behind closed doors. How do I set the record straight? -- JUST CLUMSY IN AMARILLO


CLUMSY, good friends watch out for you. Don't be humiliated, just accept that they are willing to help, but you don't need it at this time.

DEAR SURLY, I have a horrible secret. I have cheated on my husband with multiple strangers. I have tried to tell him I have an addiction, but he blows me off. When I first met him, I had been with two people. Since our wedding, I have lost count.

I think about sex constantly and often arrange to meet men anonymously many times during the week. I have tried to stop, but I just can't seem to. Believe me, I have tried.

I have attempted to talk to my husband about this so he will listen -- but I'm afraid to estimate how many times I have cheated because I fear he will leave me. Please help me. -- CAN'T STOP DOWN SOUTH


CAN'T STOP, if you can't tell you're husband, tell a theripist. Perferable a female one since I wouldn't want you getting charged $150 an hour to share this secret to an anonymous man.

You will, eventually, have to tell your husband, and he may leave you. If you're getting help, your odds are better, but still dismal.

See Abby's responses at http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20100324

No comments:

Post a Comment